Let’s delve deep into the secrets of the golden spice, the Lakadong Turmeric grown in the pristine land of Meghalaya. We know turmeric is an important ingredient of many popular cuisines, especially Indian cuisines. The golden hue, slightly bitter taste, and earthy aroma of our curries are due to turmeric. Turmeric, which is so essential for our delicacies, has nutritional and health-aiding benefits. Do you know what makes turmeric so popular? It’s Curcumin – the miracle ingredient of the golden spice.
Lakadong turmeric, cultivated in the seven sisters of North-East India, is a key variant that has a high content of curcumin. It contains 7-12% curcumin which is higher than in any other popular variant grown in India. Traditional Soul of India understands the richness of Lakadong turmeric and therefore strives to make it accessible to you.
How do our farmers grow Lakadong turmeric?
Our hardworking and dedicated farmers grow the special variant of turmeric in the fresh and natural atmosphere of Himalayan foothills. These people use natural means to grow healthy turmeric.
- Preparing field: Before growing any vegetation, field preparation is the first step. In the months of March-April, the farmers clear the weeds, bushes, and other vegetation and make the soil to a fine tilth. To grow pure organic Lakadong turmeric the field needs to be eliminated of all traces of synthetic agrochemicals. For this, it takes 3-5 years of field preparation. They replenish it with organic manure prepared from microorganisms and other organic matters. They use natural pest control methods like traps, oil, etc. Turmeric is itself a natural pesticide hence it keeps pests away.
- Sowing seeds: The farmers make ridges and furrows in the field. They then take 2-3 seed rhizomes of the miracle turmeric into the pits formed and then with soil, they cover the pits. For nine months, our farmers take extra care of the field to get a healthy yield.
- Harvesting: December-January is the harvesting season of Lakadongturmeric. The shining stem and leaves show the signs of mature rhizomes. Farmers carefully dig the earth lift the clusters of rhizomes and tap them to clear them off the mud. Each cluster contains 8-12 fingers of rhizomes.
- Preserving seeds: Meghalayan farmers are particular about the quality of the seeds for future harvests. They sort out and select the best seeds to preserve them.
- Processing: The rhizomes obtained are washed, dried, grounded to powder, and tested. They are packed and sold in the market. Traditional Soul of India provides these farmers with the trusted platform to promote and market the Lakadong turmeric.
What are the benefits of Lakadong turmeric?
Lakadong turmeric with a high percent of curcumin is beneficial for our health. Since time immemorial, it has been used by people to heal injuries and get relief from several illnesses. It is used in various forms such as in powder or pastes in preparing different cuisines, for skincare or golden milk to treat diseases. Let’s find out the hidden properties of the miracle spice:
- It is one of the best anti-inflammatory agents and has amazing anti-microbial properties.
- Known to have a high level of antioxidant power that neutralizes free radicals causing cellular damage.
- Lakadong turmeric and depression never go side by side. Optimal use of turmeric prevents the onset of depression.
- Curcumin reduces neurotoxicity and prevents the accumulation of amyloid-beta in the brain. These help in the prevention of Alzheimer’s condition.
- It keeps your bones healthy and thus maintains mobility.
- Regularly give your kids a glass of golden milk to boost their memory.
- Lakadong turmeric keeps in check your blood pressure and also keeps your heart and liver healthy.
- It prevents ulcers and also supports the digestive system.
- The golden spice prevents the onset of various cancers and also manages cancers efficiently.
- Act as the best solution to menstrual pain.
Lakadong turmeric is thus a real miracle spice. Has a golden history that dates back to about 5000 years ago. Generations have passed away using and appreciating it for the golden hue and aroma it gives to the recipes and the wonder it does to our health. Traditional Soul of India, an ambitious venture of Global InfocloudPvt Ltd, Pune takes steps to make this wondrous spice from Meghalaya easily accessible to you. We promote adopting a healthier life to spread happiness.